Friday, January 11, 2008

Visits from Relatives

I think most people with an interest in the preternatural have heard of relatives returning from the grave to give some comforting messages to those left behind. Some are credible, others... not so much. I dunno, usually when I hear about this sort of thing it brings to mind some New Age strangeness.

But it does happen, nonetheless.

There's one story about a British Naval officer who was seen by guests at a party held at his house. These guests expressed surprise to his wife, since they were under the impression that he was still on tour. His wife assured them they must be mistaken, his ship was in the middle of the Atlantic.

What she didn't know was at that very moment his ship was on it's way to the bottom of the ocean.

Personally, I haven't had a dead relative actually visit. A Great-Great Aunt (or something along those lines) did have a premonition that a younger relative and mother of small children had just died. So when the father came to fetch her to help him take care of the kids she was already packed and waiting on the porch for him.

A friend of mine had a much more detailed encounter with a recently dead relative, and a much more poignant one. It's a very good read. He posted the story as a comment on my Experience Talks post.

4 comments:

Given55 said...

I find your blog interesting. To quote the movie "I see dead people". It was something I did not share for a long time because of the church's opinion on that one. But, I found in the Bible where, when Christ was crucified, "the graves opened up and the dead walked through the town and the people recognized them.' This came as a great relief to me. Now,I don't talk to them,mostly because I always, already, know what they want. You may enjoy reading my post "Spirit of Man". I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Brigid said...

Perhaps you can provide a link to that post?

What do you mean about "the church's opinion on that"? It's true that the Catholic Church forbids initiating contact with spirits, but that's because there's no way of telling what sort of spirits who might be talking to.

Given55 said...

The church's opinion of not dealing with the spirit realm. Some see it as sorcery or divination. I kept these gifts to myself for a very long time.
The post is at:
http://given55.blogspot.com/2007/09/spirit-of-man.html

Brigid said...

Well it's certainly not something to try to do. Or do without some serious back up. There are dangerous things in there.

Getting contacted is another thing.