Monday, January 7, 2008

Not all things creepy are supernatural: Ghost photos

One of the great mainstays of paranormal research, serious and otherwise, is the ghost caught on film. Usually that film is a set of still images showing a vague, misty shape, like a blob. Some are more spectacular. And much more scary.

There's a Video on YouTube that sets a slide show of such photos to appropriately creepy music.

But are they real? Any of them? I really can't say, though I would have to say that there's a pretty good chance that at least some of them are fake. (I'd even be willing to bet a few cents that most are.)

The thing is that ghost photos are very easy to fake. Particularly for an online audience. There's even a website on How to make a fake ghost photo.

It's really very complete, including such classics as cellophane over the lens and more high-tech Photoshop techniques.

The one they don't cover is the double exposure. This is great at getting ghostly effects, and I suspect the source of a lot of the photos in the above slide show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi brigid, it's Kdawg68 from the BC forms.

I'm a guy that suffice to say believes in the spirit world, but I've never seen a single "orb" picture that impressed me. They're just dust. Excellent write-up.

I love your blog. I had no idea we shared similar interests?!?!

You've got yourself another reader here.

Brigid said...

Thank you very much.

I'm usually not very impressed by ghost photos, either. It's far too easy to diddle with negatives, or just end up with some odd bit of reflection (especially if you're using a flash.)

So glad I have another reader! This blog is taking quite a while to build an audience.