Sunday, April 20, 2008

Who you gonna call?

I've caught an episode or two of Sci-Fi Channel's Ghost Hunters. It's pretty cool and they don't automatically assume that every little cold draft or odd reading is paranormal, which I appreciate.

But it does bring up a good question in my mind. More than one, actually. When do you call in a paranormal investigation team? And how do you pick a good one?

A very good question, and not as easy to answer as "where can I find a good plumber?" (Please pardon the thinly veiled Ben 10 reference.)

Well, I'd like to say that you should first see if they claim any affiliation with a church, but anyone can claim anything, especially on the net. Personally, I'd shy away from groups that use mediums or anyone who channels spirits. Channeling involves letting a spirit into your body and giving over some control to that spirit. The only kind of spirits I know about that are willing and able to do that sort of thing aren't the kind you want anywhere near your control circuits. If someone is willingly doing something like that then my first guess would be they're either faking or seriously deluded on the dangers they're in. Either way, I wouldn't trust them for accurate information.

A good indication that a group is worth looking into is if they recommend contacting a priest if the situation seems unmanageable. Of course, I'm Catholic, so I would find that a positive point.

As for when to start looking for a paranormal investigator, do you really think your house is haunted? There are some things you can look for yourself. Make sure you didn't just misplace your keys and that the kids aren't playing games with the furniture. Check for drafts. If the main symptom is noise in the walls make sure you don't have mice. Things like that. If you still can't find a natural explanation then you might want to call someone in to look for unnatural explanations.

And whatever you do, don't panic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, you are very wise. I am a Catholic and have a haunted house. Its very difficult to deal with. We have had our house blessed severaltimes. We called in a paranormal team from our area and they said to let our church handle it.I would like to have a team that includes the church. Keep up the good work. Post the St. michael prayer. peace

Brigid said...

Thank you. ^_^ I may even start posting in this blog again. I'm afraid real life has been rather busy for me lately.

Hmmm. I wonder if the local diocese would be interested in forming a lay investigation group...

Zombie Money said...

I love ghosthunters!

Very cool blog :)

Brigid said...

Thank you. ^_^ I may even get in the mood to update this blog again.