Sunday, October 19, 2008

The goth connection.

Some things are just too weird.

Like what is 'goth' anyway? I know how it's presented on TV, but what is it really? I have yet to run into two consistent definitions.

The Goths historically were a Germanic tribe, like the Franks, Vandals, Saxons, and Jutes. Then there are the Gothic cathedrals, which were marvels of artistry and engineering. The first use of flying buttresses, as I recall.

Nowadays, the word 'goth' is connected with wearing black, garish makeup, and horror stories involving women in semi-transparent lingerie being chased through moonlit graveyards. Vampires are often involved.

It's also the target of extremely oversensitive people. Usually oversensitive people who see Satan at work behind everything they don't like or aren't familiar with. I already mocked one such (or maybe more than one, I don't have an original source for the list) on my Livejournal. Thing is, buried waaay deep under all the horse hockey was an actual point. So I'm going to analyze the list again, but in more detail and a little more seriously.

Also note that all of the following is supposed to apply to teenagers.

The gothic culture leads young, susceptible minds into an imagined world of evil, darkness, and violence. Please seek immediate attention through counselling, prayer, and parental guidance to rid your child of Satan's temptations if five or more of the following are applicable to your child:

I don't know about that, but most of the list is best described as what comes out of the south end of a north-bound horse.

Frequently wears black clothing.

... Could also be Emo, which isn't particularly healthy but I wouldn't give the kid a shower with holy water. Or maybe the kid just likes to wear black. Could be the 'in' thing and s/he is trying to fit in. Of course, if the kid wears nothing but black, I'd kinda worry about that kid's fashion sense.

Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.

Oh I love this one. I don't know about high school, but during my first stint in college I could throw a rock and stand a pretty good chance of hitting someone wearing a t-shirt like this. Does that mean they're goth or making deals with the devil?

No. They might have questionable taste in music (if you can call some of that noise music) but I wouldn't use this as a basis for judging the state of their immortal soul.

Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nailpolish.

Poor taste, yes, Satan worship, I doubt it.

Granted, this is a rather common assumption for what Goths and Emos look like. Do they actually wear a lot of black makeup and all? Possibly, and I can't imagine anyone else who'd want to do that except maybe as part of a cosplay or for a Halloween costume. But then I don't know most people.

Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include: reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.

Oh, this is where it gets good. For one thing, some people like silver or just look better with silver as opposed to gold jewelry. I've seen Christian jewelry done in silver, also Celtic knots and any of a number of other odd and interesting patterns done in silver.

As for the examples, this really deserves more detail.

Reversed crosses: Are sometimes used to mock Christianity. It's also the symbol of St. Peter (you know, the first Pope) as he is reputed to have requested to be crucified upside down so as not to be killed in the exact same manner as Jesus. Frankly, I'd be more worried about a crow's foot. That's sort of like an inverted cross, but with the cross-piece broken so it resembles a peace sign without the circle. (Which has caused all sorts of insanity. I'd really like to beat my head against a wall sometimes.)

Pentagram/pentacle: This one I'd actually be a little concerned about if it's upside down. It has been used as a Satanic symbol for hundreds of years. On the other hand, it's also how kids start out drawing stars. I don't think a lot of people realize the significance of this symbol and wear it in jewelry because it looks neat and (in the case of teenagers) it gets a rise out of their parents.

Ankh: Since when is an ankh a Satanic symbol? I know it's kinda popular in the New Age crowd, but aside from it's origins as the Egyptian symbol for life I really don't find anything particularly threatening about it.

Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.

Uh... I think the person who made this list has never heard of teenagers. Moving on.

Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)

Okay. I would be a little concerned about someone who claims to be the anti-Christ, even if it is for publicity. Aside from that, what is meant by 'anti-social genres'? I listen to a lot of rock from the 60s and 70s. Incense and Peppermint, anyone? Maybe Age of Aquarius? How about New Age music? Oh, man, I must be the most immoral person on the planet.

Not really. I don't buy the philosophy of New Age, I just like the music. And I wouldn't dream of doing half of the stuff in that old rock.

On the other hand, music is a powerful medium. No, not that kind of medium. Some people are more suggestible than I am and there are songs that promote some pretty nasty stuff. I'd take it more on a song by song basis, though, rather than condemning an entire genre.


Okay, this is getting long. I'm going to make a second part later.

No comments: