Thursday, December 6, 2007

Angels 101

We seem to have a very odd view of angels now, don't we? They're either cute little kids a la "Precious Moments" or sylph-like women in flowing gowns.

But what are angels really like?

For one thing, they aren't female, or male. As non-corporeal entities things like that are meaningless. No need to reproduce if you don't die, you know?

In the Bible angels always appear as young men, probably as a matter of convenience. (It'd look rather odd to Abraham if three women came wandering into his camp.)

Another thing, and this is very important, angels are not to be worshiped. If you ever run into an angel that is fine with being worshiped he's working for the wrong side.

(I use the pronoun 'he' as a matter of convenience. 'It' makes them sound like they aren't people.)

As long as I'm on the subject I should also point out that even though when we say 'angel' we usually mean the ones working for God, demons are angels too. Fallen angels, specifically.

This is very important to know because real demons aren't red with goat legs and horns. In fact, they can appear like anything. Because of this it's best to test any spiritual visitors you may have.

Yeah, the chances of you having a visit like this are extremely slim, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

A very basic test is to throw holy water at the entity. Assuming it's visible, of course. If there's no reaction then the visitor is most likely one of the good guys. If there is a reaction you could be in a world of trouble. Better start reciting the St. Michael's Prayer, The Lord's Prayer, or any other prayer you happen to know. Contacting a priest would be a good idea, too.

Common reactions include, but are not limited to, unearthly screaming, violent poltergeist activity, and boiling of the holy water.

And one last thing to finish up this post on angels. Humans do not become angels when they die. Angels started out as angels. Humans stay human even after their physical form stops working.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would take me pages to explain, but the "ghostly encounter" I've previously referenced with my uncle could also very easily be classified as an angelic visitation. And yes, I realize all to well how ridiculously crazy that may sound.

Maybe someday I can explain in detail. It's the single moment that has become the bedrock of my entire existence.

Being a natural born "doubting Thomas", I also received several signs throughout my life that could be interpreted as "proof" of the visitation.

It's a long, long story, but a really good one to. Hopefully someday I can share it with you. It's also deeply personal though, and obviously making such statements invites harsh criticism from folks that strongly disagree.

What can I say? I don't blame them. I know I wouldn't believe myself if this hadn't happened to me. No way Jose. Now I just have to live my life with the burden of knowing that I cannot prove it happened to anyone else. Alas, all I can do is recount the events as they occurred.

You seem very open minded, so I'd love to share with you sometime.

Keep up the good blogging!

Brigid said...

You aren't alone in being a 'doubting Thomas.' ^_^ My own journey to believing in a world outside the physical was long and at times a little creepy.

Dealing with those who refuse to take such things seriously can be frustrating, but you seem to have a very good attitude. ^_^ Love to hear the story sometime!